Tuesday, August 06, 2019

The Fullfillment* Centre 6/4


Even though I had lived in London for almost twenty years I still carried a residual anti-London sentiment that had returned and hardened in my single year back up North. Even though I had known plenty of financially comfortable middle class Leftists and still counted some of them among my friends I was intrinsically suspicious of them too. And so I accepted Nick’s invitation but became instantly a little guarded.
We went out back into the beer garden where they were sitting in a little arbor they had found for themselves at the far end of the concrete paving slabs and benches.
This is Carl, Nick said.
Some general nodding. There were three of them but the leader seemed to be John, tallish, Good to meet you man, he said, stood up, shook my hand with some sincere eye contact. He had a full beard streaked with grey and a paunch, looked to be wearing casual clothes that were well within his price range. A filmmaker and activist but also, it turned out, an academic of some kind. I perched on the end of one of the benches leaves from the low hanging branches of the trees behind us partly obscuring my vision. The conversation seemed largely to exclude me, a lot of talk about London about people I didn’t know and bodies they were involved in, a lot about Labour party politics and funding and after a few minutes of sitting sipping at my water I wondered why I was there. 
So, Carl, John said. I disliked the fact that he used my name so readily even though there was no way he could draw me in without using it. We are making short films on different projects that are going on up and down the country, focusing on people's reasons for getting involved, the transformational impact, personal, community wide and the potentials for these things to make a real difference. 
 I nodded. I already had numerous speeches on just such a subject filed away in my head. Things i had rehearsed in imaginary interviews, symposium and meetings where I would lay out my theories and highlight my own motivations and my reading of the situation. I nodded and felt a little surge of excitement. I remembered my dad standing in the kitchen late at night, washing the pots half talking to himself, delivering a sermon to the invisible, appreciative audience out in the garden, knowing if he had just been given the chance he would have knocked them all for six with his brilliant arguments on Newsnight or Question Time or Weekend World.
We have asked Jay, Nick said. He’s the kind of person we really want to focus on. There’s a real story there but he doesn't want to do it. Too shy, you know.
I nodded. Ah, I see.
Can you have a word with him? You live, he paused, in the same house, right? 
Right.
The lads are just down for two more days, he said.
Alright I said. I mean I can finish my drink first though, right? There was a little snap of anger to my voice that immediately shifted everyone’s posture slightly and I regretted it. Don’t reveal too much, Carl. 
Yes of course, man, John said. We just...
But Nick, characteristically wasn’t having any of it. Let’s not waste time though, he said. Sooner you can sort that out the sooner we can look at other options. You have got your phone, give him a ring.
What was I going to do? Sit there silently and insist on finishing my glass of water first in order to prove a point, demonstrate that I wouldn’t be bossed around? I paused for what Ithought was reasonable enough time to demonstrate that I had weighed up the situation and was extending them some magnanimity. Alright, I’ll give him a ring. I went and stood out the front of the pub and let his phone ring on to the answer phone. Ring me back as soon as you can was the message I left. Then I went back into the beer garden and resumed my seat and my glass of water. The conversation had moved on to how hot the summer had been and from that onto climate change but i was still wrestling with the conflicting emotions that the short exchange had triggered in me and it was hard for me to pay attention. I found I was watching John as the conversation went round. I was resentful no doubt and feeling humiliated. He had his house up in London, something modest but in a good area, his enclave in the place where things were happening, where the smart people circulated, where people had the important conversations. Someone mentioned refugees then someone mentioned climate refugees, someone else the number of people drowning in the Mediterranean. 
I suppose, John said ruefully, that we will, typically, be protected from the worst of it. I imagine it will all happen off camera, you’ll turn on the news and there will be some reporting on it but after a while it will just become another one of those things. 
 That will require strong borders I said. 
Yes, he said. He pursed his lips and shook his head. I could see that he was thinking about ways in which his life could remain unchanged in its essentials, a few solidary actions, sympathetic noises in the shade at the end of another middle class friend’s garden or gentrified pub, his children set to inherit the property he had spent thirty years telling everyone he met that he knew how lucky he was to have been able to purchase, and somewhere in the background of it all, guns, fences, barbed wire, camps, concrete floors, floating bodies, vast swathes of humanity crouched in the burning heat eating the meagre rations doled out by charities behind some tasteful cordon sanitaire.
Of course our relation to the Global South will have to be re-imagined one of the others said.We’ll have to be a bit more interventionist, I suppose. 
What does that mean? I asked. There was a lingering and obvious hostility in my voice.
Go there I guess, make it more habitable. Big project, lot of imagination needed. Nick said. 



No comments: