Wednesday, July 31, 2019

The Fullfillment* Centre 6/2


I decided to dig out thHojoki when I got home; I was in that kind of mood. Autumn coming in, sense of change and things fading, all that. An Account of my Hut. The title was poignant of course, especially in that translation and I thought about the conversation I had with my mother about my dad’s desire to withdraw from the world. Perhaps he would have finally read all those great works he never quite got round to, he was going to do it all when he retired of course, tackle the great edifice of World Though but somehow there had always been something else to keep him busy, cleaning guttering, endless meal preparations, going into town, keeping up with the news, getting enough sleep. 

What changes and what can be changed? I suppose this what the book asks and the answer is nothing, or perhaps yourself, to some degree. I sat at the table and my faint melancholy deepened suddenly into a sense of futility. Even though it felt like we were winning there was a kind of tumbling dry laughter echoing through the world, no doubt the distant mockery of time and the vanity of struggling against the inevitable ways life and the world were patterned and ordered in cycles, ad infinitum. Perhaps it was right that at midlife a man should withdraw from the world and spend his time in contemplation, perhaps if that tradition still existed the world would be a less angry, less harrowed place as generations fought to hold onto what they had gained or supplant each other, people growing bitter by the long, enforced slog of engaging in life. My thoughts drifted, perhaps that was the way things would tend now, less work more time for contemplation, for quiet reflection, each person contented in their silo, gazing out rather than all the brawling and battling of trying to win and maintain status. 

And then my pessimistic mood passed, mercifully brief, and I reflected instead on the remarkable things that were happening. Everyone’s favourite word at that point was transformative. It was overused certainly but still it did feel that over a few years the terrain beneath our feet had shifted dramatically. Possibilities, that's what we live for, that's why we stay in the world. And there were, or seemed to be at that point, all manner of possible directions things might take.

And so, stay in the world a little longer, then a little longer still. Sail on, sail on... I went into my room to get the book but couldn’t find it, went back into the kitchen to see if it was in the pile under the table where Chris was bedding downRidiculous really, thinking back, how we lived then when we still had other options. Chris was always preparing himself for disaster, for some terrible cataclysm after which he would have to survive in the woods on a handful of berriesfamiliarity with hardship and discomfort was something he had cultivated out of paranoia and dread; he would be able to meet the end of things head on and survive. And yet of course all that preparation didn’t save him in the end. 

Not in the kitchen. I went up into Jay’s rom to see if it was there for some reason. I had never been in before, strangely, had seen in through the doorway as went to the loo. It was spare, clean almost cell-like, perhaps he had been drilled into keeping it that way in whatever homes or halfway houses he had lived in before we met, in that period of his life we never talked about. What a bunch of misfits we were. I half laughed, but there was something pitying in it too. I thought about my mum; what’s so bad about just being normal? There was a single book next to the single mattress down on floor. could tell even from the distance of the doorway that it wasn’t the Hojoki but intrigued I tiptoed in to see what it was. Chriss anthology of American poetryThat was where it had gone.

For some reasonI was in a sentimental mood that evening, no doubt, tears sprang up in my eyes. People were unexpected, what on earth was he doing with that? Reading it I suppose. I thought I might try and engage him on the subject of poetry, see if he wanted to talk about it but anticipated if I did he would probably just clam up. Well, I wasn’t going to take it back, Chris already had too many books anyway. And then I remembered that I myself had hidden thbook under my own mattress on the floor downstairs precisely to keep it out of Chris’s hands. 

No comments: