Thursday, May 23, 2019

The Fullfillment* Centre 3/3


After the meeting four of us, Nick, Andy, Lucy and I went round to one of the old pubs on the high street where Chris had got himself a job, refusing to go back to teaching, imagining I suppose it was an easy option despite all the conversations we’d had saying low pay didn’t mean you could take it easy, quite the opposite, it was just more stress, more micromanaging for less money: there are no jobs where you can drift anymore, if there ever were. But still he had determined to do it and spent the first week scouring local pubs for work. I thought that Chris might volunteer in the Laundry too and had the vague idea that the others would be impressed with my capacity to get things done, be a problem solver, if I could get him to sign up for a Saturday.

Perhaps I hoped to impress Lucy who spent the polite hour or so she stayed enthusiastically refusing a drink and tapping away on her phone when she wasn’t nodding engagedly along with whatever Nick and Andy said. She had her own reasons for being there, or half being there, her own agenda though it was hard for me to figure out what it was, that defensive innocuousness that so many young people around that time had developed was a real contrast to Nick Boscombe’s way of interacting, my own. The difference was generational I suppose, I recognised in him all the characteristics of having grown up in a small town, a tough town; sarcasm, directness, deliberate bluntness of speech combined with default scepticism. Attack first, don’t let them find your weak spots. Whereas Lucy was so wide open it was hard to locate her, any attack would sail right by.

They reminded me of the Japanese in a way, that younger generation. Be as neutral as possible, always try to respond in a way that is least likely to cause offence, default enthusiastic agreement with everything, no polarising topics, and for a long, pained second I wondered why I hadn’t just gone there when she told me she wasn't coming back this time, swept her up, submitted myself to her need to build a life that resembled a traditional one in some ways. Did I think some greater glory was still mine to claim? What was I so scared of. For some reason, doubts surfacing, I instinctively knocked back the half I had allowed myself, an old reflex, and instantly Andy, hoping that I might be a fellow drinker was waving his empty pint glass in my face. Fancy another? 

Just a water for me, I said to his evident disappointment. I’ll get them in. I didn’t want to oblige him to get a non-alcoholic drink at the bar. Another old reflex.

You just missed the fun then, Chris said as he poured a pint. Good timing. He looked nervous, but then he always looked nervous, lowered his voice almost to a whisper as he always did when discussing anything vaguely contentious. Group of guys started giving some students a hard time. Chinese. Asian anyway. Might be some of your lot.

How serious?

Loud comments, you know.

What, “fuck off back to China” stuff? You got in there and sorted them out did you?

He shrugged.

You sure you’re cut out for pub work I said. There is a job going in the laundry.

No teaching hours coming up in September? he asked. And there it was, his resolve had lasted a week.

I’ll ask. I said. What about the laundry?

You doing a shift?

Good question, was I? What was a shift after all?

Yes, obviously, I said, went back to the table, drank my water as Nick Boscombe laid out his plans. Spoke at length about the local rivalries within the council that I was to grow much more familiar with, the scale of his ambition, micro and macro level and how it would all synthesise if the circumstances proved right.

Around ten I made my excuses and drifted back to the house we had rented, past the pokey riverside flats, across the bridge over the Lune, my usual disquiet at the difficulty of it all and the commitment needed for even the smallest steps to be taken washing through me. Down and around into the rows of anonymous terraced streets, more or less empty except for someone sitting on what appeared to be the doorstep of number 28. Our door. One of the local kids that seemed to run or bike aimlessly but noisily around the area, just as I had done back in Barrow when I was a child. How little the patterns of life change really in these stalled, tucked-away places, the circuits and the ambit life barely shifting even as the world elsewhere was transformed.

My eyesight was poor and I hadn’t yet had corrective surgery and so it was only when I was a few feet away and preparing myself to find out what they were doing there that I realised it was Jay.


No comments: