Sunday, May 12, 2019

The Fullfillment* Centre Chapter 2 part 1


We loaded up the hired van and Chris drove it up. I decided to get the train, partly because I didn’t trust Chris’s driving and I knew we would argue on the way up there. Already our tempers had frayed haggling over how much of his junk he would take and how much would go back to the charity shops. There was a vast quantity of books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, videos, essays and papers he had printed up in work in thin cardboard folders splitting at the seams. All of which somehow seemed essential to him.

There’s an old quote about buying books: we think we are buying the time to read them, but having been a hoarder myself when I was younger I understand it differently, we were buying the selves we imagined we would become after we had read them, the great works, the great thoughts and each one bought was a new possible self, our own future greatness, claimed, set aside, each one sold on a small grief for that self’s loss, our future diminished. The dizziness in libraries or bookshops, the circling of souls, selves, worlds. It was easy to get trapped there, enchanted, enchained.

I had taken that train, the London to Glasgow route, changing at Lancaster for the service that crept along the coast to Barrow in Furness many times, especially over the previous few years after my father had passed away, visiting my mother, who still lived there. It was run by Virgin trains, a private company and was notorious for its expense and inconvenience. This was an additional reason for going to Lancaster, I had decided to move back closer to her as she tried to decide what to do now, move down to my sister’s place in Ramsgate or move within the town and I thought I should be closer if I could to offer some support.

I imagined my late father discussing it all with me and I was sorry that he wasn’t alive to see some of the changes that were happening. Some proof that what he believed in hadn't been entirely abandoned had come too late to rejuvenate any faith he might have had in the cause of the working class. All he had seen for the last forty years of his life after all was its slow defeat. He would have been pleased, encouraged perhaps in a way he wouldn’t like to admit, but I could imagine his scepticism too, at the possibilities of its being meaningful, at my naivete.

Still trying to throw your arms around the world, son? At your age?

Yes, Dad.


No comments: