Monday, November 21, 2011

I don't know about anyone else but personally I don't really have any problem being told what to do by people I recognize as being more informed, strategically smarter and more competent than I am, or even by those equally so. Hierarchy is fine with me as long as I have intellectual and moral respect for the people above me: hey there's a lot of clever, committed people in the world and I have no problem being in the lowest rank as long the structure itself seems just and legitimate. I yearn neither to heroically stand on high nor dissolve myself in the mass. I'd like to be an engaged part of a rationally organized, coherent movement, if that means taking some peoples'  decisions on faith, if that means being a foot soldier  rather than a general, so what? The narcissism of hierarchy or the narcissism of non-hierarchy? Neither.